Monday, June 9, 2014

The Gift of Today


So here is my first guest post! How fitting that it be written by the one who never stops giving to the Type One Trio. My mom is truly amazing! I hope you enjoy her post as much as I have! :)
 

Four years ago, if someone would have told me I would be writing about type one diabetes- I would have laughed.  That I would be writing about my 3 type one children would have been shockingly unbelievable. 

And yet here I am…here we are.

I am the mother of 5 precious children; four boys, and a girl at the end. 
Our three youngest were diagnosed with type one in three years.  More of my children have it, than don’t.  A statistic that is still overwhelming.

This is a “club” that no one wants to join,

A road no one would choose to go down,

A new normal that never goes away and is constantly changing.

So how do we do it?

We do today.

This is our life now.  It is our story.  Most importantly it is God’s story.

As a mother, I want to protect my children from pain. To shield them from the weight of life… at least until they are older. To fix what is wrong.

Diabetes has shifted my thinking.  I can no longer protect them from pain- it is now a constant companion. 

I can’t delete diabetes from their lives - it is here to stay.

I can’t make this road an easy one - because it stinks.

How do we do today, you may ask.

One step at a time- One finger poke at a time- One blood sugar reading-  One treatment of lows or highs . . .


One day at a time.  One hour at a time.  Sometimes, even one minute at a time.

There is only enough grace for the next step.  If we shine the light to the future, we would all crumble. 

It is too big.

We show love minute by minute. 

You see- love bridges.

It carries the one that is down.

It changes our perspective.

It laughs at things that used to cause us fear.

It believes in a higher purpose.

It is thankful that you have a child that is living, even with a chronic life long disease.

Love is seeing purpose even when surrounded by pain.

It is reminding us that God is good.  Even when He chooses things we don’t understand.

Today is a gift.  One to cherish and be thankful for- no matter what the circumstances. 

That is how we do today.

We take the next step.

And we don’t look back.

10 comments:

  1. That's why she's my best friend. I wish I could take it all away. I love and miss you all so much it hurts. Aunt Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss you more than words can say. You were our "sunshine" during those early difficult days. We could use another visit soon! :) love you dearest.

      Delete
  2. You inspire me, Tina Hatchett! Because as you "do today", you glorify your Father. Even when you don't see it, your light shines brightly to others...even all the way to me in Brodhead! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so thankful Kate connected our lives. I love and appreciate you.

      Delete
  3. Lovely post! Your mom nailed the parent perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful, Tina! It seems so many things in life are just like that--one thing at a time...one day at a time...one step at a time. I love and appreciate you and your family. Thank you for sharing your joy in the Lord and trust in His sovereignty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Mrs. Hatchett for your Godly example and testimony! May God continue to bless your family as you seek to serve Him each and every day! Praying for you all! Stay Faithful to Christ and His Word!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hugs, friend!! Your post is beautiful. I remember talking with you often about new normals and uncommon obedience. You are living both with grace and thanksgiving. I love you! -- Tricia
    p.s. Coffee?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Coffee is always fun with you. Love you friend.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful post. Your mom is such an inspiration. Thanks, to both of you, for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Feel Free to Comment! :)