Monday, June 30, 2014

Learning to Limit

Sometimes Type One can be very overwhelming. I know this as a fact both in our life with diabetes, and many other T1Ds that I've communicated with.

This put me to thinking . . . What are some ways one can limit their diabetes?

First, let me establish an important point. Limiting one's diabetes has nothing to do with diabetic care. When we quit using insulin or we neglect to monitor our blood sugars- it a simple fact: we (any Type One Diabetic) will die. T1Ds are not insulin-resistant, but insulin-dependent. It makes a big difference.

Okay, so now for my "limiting diabetes, live-life somewhat normal" idea.

The first step to limiting the diabetic overload: "Do what you love".

For me, this is running. I know that sounds simple, but it ends up being rather complicated. When I go for a simple four mile run it entails 4 blood sugar tests, eating an average of 12 glucose tabs throughout the run, suspending my pump, and closely monitoring my blood sugars for the rest of the day. I love running! It helps me think, helps relieve stress, and helps me feel normal. Though it takes a lot of extra management, it's worth the effort. 

Second step to limiting the diabetic overload: "Take it one day at a time"

When you look ahead of today, you will be overloaded by the enormity of the disease. It's lifelong, difficult, and painful- both mentally and physically. Learning to take diabetes one day at a time will prove to help in "stress-management". All you have to get through- is today.

Third step to limiting the diabetic overload: "Never stop Hoping"

This past week I have heard a good bit about new advances in endocrinological research. Some people see the new bionic/artificial-pancreas as functional within three years, however, other researchers see that as a full lifetime before it can truly be realistic. Frankly, I have no idea who to believe. Whether it is a cure- or a bionic pancreas, one thing I do know is that miracles do happen, God is in control, and that nothing is impossible. 

Sure, some researchers say such feats of science are impossible- but so did the critics of Frederick Banting . . . 

and he discovered insulin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Comment! :)