Thursday, February 13, 2014

Too Low

It actually happened.

I was in the doctor's office for a second TB Skin test . . . nothing much, just an "in and out" appointment. The only exciting part of this visit was that I got to have Hannah along with me!

I've had a cold for a while. The reason I say this is because it makes me feel low. Whenever I have felt low, I would test my blood sugar and it ended up being high. The only problem with this, is that I have begun to ignore that "low sensation".

After my nurse finished the TB test, we began chatting and getting our stuff together to leave. 

That's when it hit me
When I go really low, I feel this nauseating feeling deep inside of me. A feeling that if I don't get sugar . . . things are going to get really bad.

I turned to Hannah and told her I needed to test. Only problem was, we had both left our testers in my car. I had tested before going in and my number was 130. I didn't think I could possibly have any problems.

From this point, I went down fast. 
I remember I began shaking. Everything was blurring and I began to panic.
The nurse hit the panic button and then . . . I don't remember much of anything - mainly because I passed out. 
As the story is told to me: 
Hannah and the nurse were able to pry my mouth open and begin feeding a glucose powder down my throat. Medical staff rapidly arrived and began filling the room.

A few minutes later I regained consciousness. I felt miserable. I was hot, sweaty, and very nauseous. I woke up to glucose gel and powder still being fed into my mouth. Though I didn't want to, I forced myself to swallow. I knew that if I didn't, I would only get worse.

After I reentered the world, the medical staff was able to acquire a tester.


(Though I really wish I knew my number when I passed out, that will be a fact I will never really know.)

They helped me into a stretcher and took me to the ER for stabilization. 

Upon my arrival, they began monitoring me and running tests. The EKG came back great, and all of my vitals stabilized. I retested my blood sugar and I was 145. Not bad considering the large amount of sugar I took in! 

Thankfully, I'm better now. 

I'm at home, still trying to recover mentally from the trauma of the whole scenario. I feel like it was all a dream.

 And to be perfectly honest, I'm scared . . . I can't help it - it's just a reality I have to "reface" now. Because I have finally had a major low, I feel very paranoid that I am going to bottom out again.

It's a fact that any Type One will face in these unnerving situations.

Yet I'm learning I have to look at the other side.

I have a lot to thank God for!

For one, I am alive! Second, I could have been driving. Had I passed out while driving, things could have been much worse. Third, what better place to have it happen then at a hospital! And lastly, though this was a terrible experience- it really ended well!

I know I'll be okay, I just have to catch my breath, calm down, and re-think my Type One. 

1 comment:

  1. Dear Caleb,

    Brian and I were at the Husband and Wife Valentine's Day Banquet when we heard the news of your severe low. Please know that we are in prayer for you and understand what you are going through. Brian told me over dinner last night that he had a severe low at work. He was playing a game with his class (He is a physical education teacher) and he thinks that is what dropped him. He doesn't remember much. He remembers opening doors that led to nowhere...closets and such trying to find the lunch room. He finally found the lunch room and ate his apple while his lunch was warming up. He quickly ate his lunch and then drank a soda b/c he knew he was really low from how much he was sweating and how he felt confused. He finally checked his blood sugar after he became coherent and it was upper 50's to low 60's. Please forgive me for not remembering the exact number. I have heard so many numbers over the years...that I guess I just "round" them. :) He too will never know what his actual blood sugar was before he was able to "think" enough to check it. He has glucose tablets and snacks in his office, but sometimes...during an "episode" it just doesn't matter. I asked him if any staff tried to help him and he said that he didn't remember. He said that someone may have asked him if he was ok...then he smiled and said that he probably told them he was "fine." We all know in this family that means, "I am low and need help, but do not want help!" :) Every day is an adventure and I am praising the Lord that he was able to recognize he was in trouble and take measures to get his sugar up before he passed out somewhere and wasn't found quickly or began to have seizures. I thank the Lord for the peace and strength He gives me as I sit helplessly here at home and wonder how the love of my life's sugars are going. I hope you are encouraged by my husband's strength and courage as he has lived with Type 1 for almost 39 years now. The medical advancements made in this field have made Brian's (and his family's) life much easier and less terrifying. Still, without the Lord...I don't know how any of us could get through a day without allowing the fear of the unknown to overcome us. Praise the Lord that He is there and we can trust in Him! What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee. Psalm 56:3 Your brother, Benjamin, taught this Bible verse by music to the children at the Junior Winter Camp. There is so much power in God's Word and comfort beyond our understanding!

    In Christ, Mrs. Shaver


Feel Free to Comment! :)