Thursday, September 25, 2014

It never gets easier...

I know, I know... I have been terrible about blogging lately and I apologize for that. I have just finished the first rounds of tests in college, all my drug screening/vaccinations for ER position which starts October 6th, and the other two T1Trio members have just about completed their first month of school!

Though the school year always proves to be crazy, it helps to look at the positive side of it! For one, I have already met four other Type Ones on campus!!! We eat lunch together, exchange numbers, and smile at each other when we hear the melodious sound of a pump alarm echoing in the dining common. :) 

Another bright spot is going to be Camp Marrakesh this coming October. It is a diabetes camp weekend run by the American Diabetes Association. The camp is for newly diagnosed (within 1 year of diagnosis) children and their families! This year we have been asked to be the host family! Pretty much we get to greet, speak, and interact on a personal level with the families. Our family is thrilled to take part in such an awesome opportunity. Getting to be with newly diagnosed families brings me to this question:

"How does one get past the "beginning" of their diabetic journey?"

A journey with a disease that works to ensnare your attention, joy, and hope.

 I feel like I have had diabetes for 10 years . . . in reality- its only been 1 1/2 years. That's not very long. 

At max our family has had diabetes in our life for 4 1/2 years. That's not very long either.

I look for it to get easier. Some people already assume that it is. We have three kids with the same disease, it seems like we have been dealing with this for a long time, we look like we have it all under control. 

And in a way we do. But at the same time, uncaring comments still cut, finger pricks still sting, insulin still burns, sites still become infected, insulin goes old, blood sugars go high, blood sugars go low . . . every detail of this disease still feels like a "big deal" to me. 

Will it always be this way? I'm not sure. 

I watch my new T1D friends that have this disease for 18+ years and still cringe at the pain of a finger prick, still have bad sites, and still have bad blood sugars;

But

I also see myself, my siblings, my T1 friends, and most T1s I meet have one common characteristic: we have to keep getting better.

As a fellow Blogger/D-Mom would say:

It never gets easier . . . you get better!


(Inspiration by Tina: www.stickwithitsugar.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Comment! :)