Saturday, May 7, 2016

The Promise

(The day we learned my tumor was Ewing's Sarcoma)

In the past year, my appreciation and respect for my mom has gone through the roof. This Mother's Day most people will run to the store, buy a Hallmark Mother's Day Card, and say the same-ish things they say every year. (At least that's what I did) 

However, right now I would like to take a moment and reflect on why my Mom means so much to me. As a verb, "mother" means "To bring up with care and affection." In this post, you will quickly see that my Mom has both lived that out - and blown the quaint definition out of the water . . . 

On April 14th, 2015, my Mom was with me when we received news of the cancerous mass in my shoulder. Within days, I was transferred to UW Children's to begin treatments for my cancer. At the beginning, every single admit seemed to reveal a new problem. Whether it was educating us on Ewing's Sarcoma, teaching us the rules of dealing with cancer, letting us know it was spreading, or helping us adapt to a world that every human dreads - I noticed one thing was consistent: My mom was always by my side.

Before Cancer uprooted our world, Mom had a great job. She worked at a daycare doing what she loved most - taking care of babies. (I assume that is because us four boys were such amazing kids that she had to keep working with little children!) She loved her job, loved investing in others, and loved being able to have some independence (seeing we are all older now). 

Then cancer hit. 

I'll never forget my mom promising me that she would never leave my side through all of treatment. 

She never broke that promise.

(Hanging out waiting at a Radiation Appointment)

Whether by my side as I vomited through endless nights,
Rushing me to the ER at 2 AM,
Unexpectedly heading to AFCH for transfusions,
Bringing me my slew of pills every few hours,
Traveling to P4 for treating an endless variety of chemotherapy side effects,
Driving me to radiation daily for months,
Holding my hand as I battled through transplant,
Listening to me try to explain the unexplainable pain as I watch those I loved die from cancer,
Understanding that though she couldn't feel my pain, she was there to help bear it,
Willing to go anywhere to get me anything that would help make treatment more bearable,
Loving me regardless of where I was . . .

Mom was always there

She wasn't there for the first month, the halfway, the end - She was always there.

This Mother's Day is like none other before.

The love that Mom has given me is unequalled, unbeatable, and almost impossible to adequately explain. 

Thank you Mom, for always loving, caring, and supporting me through this past year. Your actions speak louder than my words ever could!

I love you so much! 

Happy Mother's Day!!!

(My incredible parents - 4th of July)

5 comments:

  1. "Her children will rise up and call her blessed." Thank you, Caleb, for such a precious look at your precious mom. She has always been a godly role model for me. I am so thankful for her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your parents are very sweet, godly people. We miss you all!
    Paul & Naomi Sondergaard

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Understanding that though she couldn't feel my pain, she was there to help bear it". Caleb, you nailed it! ALL moms should make your mom a role model...I would if I had kids! And to ladies who don't have children, you should love other children as she has exampled in her children. Thank you for reflecting her in a light that shines through even the darkest times of what a mom should be. I KNOW it was her honor and privilege to be by your side...she wouldn't have had it any other way! I love you both! Aunt Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said, Caleb. Thanks for taking the time to describe all that your mom's love and presence has meant to you. Unconditional, never-leaving love.

    ReplyDelete

Feel Free to Comment! :)