Thursday, April 28, 2016

SuperHeroes- Redefined

(Meet Josie,  P4Princess- super talented artist- and UNO Card-Master.)

Today was National Superhero Day.

Right now in our culture, superheroes are a big deal. They usually have hidden powers and supernatural strengths! The Webster Dictionary describes them as, "a fictional hero having extraordinary or superhuman powers; an exceptionally skillful or successful person."

This describes every cancer kid I have met this past year. 
Whether three, eight, or sixteen years old, these kids continue to amaze me. What do I mean?

The most common misconception of cancer is that it is all extremely depressing, somber, and full of pain. 

However it is important to note this fact:

Cancer is like a coin. 
On one side, you have a terribly dark place. One filled with tears, horrible pain, and loss. 
On the opposite, you have strength, resilience, courage- and even laughter.

(Chemo poles by our sides, and Macy proved a point. You can still laugh and give "Paint-Covered High Fives", even if you don't "feel like it")

Through the most terrible of times, I still remember the days of chatting with the little superheroes that surrounded me on P4.

On days that each of us were receiving poison to kill the cancer, we were laughing and sharing ambitions, dreams, and goals.

Even when we were most sick, barely able to get out of our beds. We still could wink, wave, or smile from a distance and know that we were in this together.

(Stewart provided awesome days filled with conversations of our P4 experiences. I don't think we could ever run out of things to talk about.)

You see, when you have life stripped from you . . . you begin to place value on different things. 
You stop worrying about "what" you have, and start focusing on "who" you have.

That is the beauty of cancer- it gives you the eyes to see what you really have.

This past year has been the most difficult year of my life. However, I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

The lessons, the friendships, the miracles, the losses, the pain, the complications- have molded me into the person I am today. 

Through this God has given me the opportunity to meet the real superheroes. 

These are the kids that hold my heart . . . these are the kind of kids I want to invest the rest of my life back into.

No matter the outcome of my cancer- I know for certain what Stage 4 Bone Cancer has taught me:

My life is awesome!



(Had the privilege of having the Wisconsin Lutheran Love Your Melon Team come and visit me for Superhero Day! This awesome group totally encapsulated the heart that Love Your Melon is built on!) 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Feel Free to Comment! :)